Summer Staff 2019 – OPEN!
Want to make a difference? Up for a real challenge? Then you might have what it takes to join ASP’s summer staff.
Summer staff members will work with a team of three or four other summer staff members, running the volunteer program at your location. Every week, they will welcome a new group of volunteers and make sure that they provide quality home repairs to Appalachian families. Summer staff members will help volunteers develop meaningful relationships with those families, while making sure the volunteers’ needs—from food, tools and materials to rest and encouragement—are being met. Every evening when the volunteers gather at your center tired and fulfilled, you will lead in spiritual programs that help them appreciate, learn and grow from their incredible experience.
The work is demanding. The pace is hectic. The conditions are far from luxurious. But, the rewards are truly life-changing. You will see the lives of Appalachian families changed and the hearts of volunteers transformed. Best of all, you will know that for one entire summer, you did all you could and gave everything you had to serve your fellow human beings and serve your God.
- Must be 18 years old and at least one year removed from high school
- Willing to obtain CPR and First Aid certifications
- Excellent communication skills
- The desire to serve volunteers, homeowners, your staff and God
- Be able to work the entire summer May 2019-August 2019 (Center Directors start May 2019) Some exceptions can be made and should be indicated on the application.
The following are the key responsibilities that each staff member takes on during the summer: Collective Responsibilities
In addition to the collective responsibilities, each staff member is assigned one of the following positions by the hiring team once hired as a summer staffer:
- Center Director – This position is for experienced staff members only and is the leader of the staff team. They manage the budget, facility, overall construction process, the rest of the staff members and more
- Operations Coordinator
- Finance Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
Summer staff members are hired with the understanding that anyone could perform any one of these specific position responsibilities successfully. Staff members are trained on their specific position separately.
Here is what you can expect while going through the application for summer staff:
1. Fill out the basic information form at the link listed below and upload a resume
- You will need to list the contact information for 2 references
- You will not be contacted until all of this information has been completed
- Once you have finished this step, you will be sent a link to an online assessment. Please complete this as soon as possible.
2. Conduct an initial interview with a member of ASP’s hiring team
3. If extended an invitation, the final step is to attend a Staff Applicant Workshop (SAW). SAWs are day-long events held primarily on Saturdays (with a few on Sundays) between October and March where applicants meet each other, meet the hiring team, and participate in activities designed to simulate the experiences of summer staffers. There is no formal deadline to apply for the summer program, however applicants must register for a SAW event at least 2 weeks prior to SAW date. The SAW locations for our 2019 hiring season are below:
- October 6, 2018: Chicago, IL
- Registration closes September 21
- October 20, 2018: Bowie, MD (Washington, D.C. Area)
- Registration closes October 5
- November 10, 2018: Roanoke, VA
- Registration closes October 26
- December 1, 2018: Cincinnati, OH
- Registration closes November 16
- January 12, 2019: Johnson City, TN
- Registration closes December 28
- January 19, 2019: Raleigh, NC
- Registration closes January 4
- February 2, 2019: Tolland, CT
- Registration closes January 18
- February 9, 2019: Chicago, IL
- Registration closes January 25
- February 23, 2019: Philadelphia, PA
- Registration closes February 8
- Registration closes February 8
*Dates and locations subject to change pending number of applicants registered. Applicants will be notified of a change if one is made. There is no formal deadline to apply for the summer program, however applicants must register for a SAW event at least 2 weeks prior to SAW date.