Summer Staff 2017 – CLOSED!
Please check back for more info about the Summer Staff 2018 application soon!
Want to make a difference? Up for a real challenge? Then you might have what it takes to join ASP’s summer staff.
You’ll work with a team of three other summer staff members, running the volunteer program at your location. Every week, you’ll welcome a new group of volunteers and make sure that they provide quality home repairs to Appalachian families. You will help them develop meaningful relationships with those families, while making sure the volunteers’ needs—from food, tools and materials to rest and encouragement—are being met. And every evening when the volunteers gather at your center tired and fulfilled, you will lead in spiritual programs that help them appreciate, learn and grow from their incredible experience.
The work is demanding. The pace is hectic. The conditions are far from luxurious. But the rewards are truly life-changing. You will see the lives of Appalachian families changed and the hearts of volunteers transformed. Best of all, you will know that for one entire summer, you did all you could and gave everything you had to help your fellow human beings and serve your God.
- Must be 18 years old and at least one year removed from high school
- Willing to obtain CPR and First Aid certifications
- Excellent communication skills
- The desire to serve volunteers, homeowners, your staff and God
- Be able to work the entire summer May 22, 2017-August 5, 2017 (Center Directors start May 20, 2017) Some exceptions can be made and should be indicated on the application.
The following are the key responsibilities that each staff member takes on during the summer: Collective Responsibilities
In addition to the collective responsibilities, each staff member is assigned one of the following positions by the hiring team once hired as a summer staffer:
- Center Director – This position is for experienced staff members only and is the leader of the staff team. They manage the budget, facility, overall construction process, the rest of the staff members and more
- Operations Coordinator
- Finance Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
Summer staff members are hired with the understanding that anyone could perform any one of these specific position responsibilities successfully since staff members are trained on their position separately.
Here is what you can expect in going through the application for summer staff:
1. Fill out the basic information form at the link listed below and upload a resume
- You will need to list the contact information for 2 references
- You will not be contacted until all of this information has been completed
- Once you have finished this step, you will be sent a link to an online assessment. Please complete this as soon as possible.
2. Conduct an initial interview with a member of ASP’s hiring team
3. If extended an invitation, the final step is to attend a Staff Applicant Workshop (SAW)
- SAWs are day long events held primarily on Saturdays (with two on Sunday in Chicago and Raleigh) between December and March where applicants meet each other, meet the hiring team and participate in activities designed to simulate the experiences of summer staffers
- The SAW dates and locations are:
o December 3rd: High Point, NC
o December 10th: Bowie, MD (Washington D.C. area)
o January 7th: Evanston, IL (Chicago area)
o January 8th (Sunday): Chicago, IL
o January 14th: Trumbull, CT
o January 28th: Madison, WI
o February 4th: Chattanooga, TN
o February 18th: Cincinnati, OH
o February 25th & 26th: Raleigh, NC
Ready to Apply?
Thank you for your interest in ASP summer staff! Below is the link to the summer staff application. Please be sure to read the instructions as there are a few steps you must take before the hiring team contacts you for an interview. If you have any questions or would like more information in general, you can contact the hiring team (Mary Fay & Kristina Rowles) at gro.e1498379648mohps1498379648a@tne1498379648mtiur1498379648cerff1498379648ats1498379648. We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you!